Last updated: 2024-01-19
MicroMentor is an initiative of Mercy Corps, a non-profit, humanitarian agency ("MicroMentor"). MicroMentor's mission is to help small businesses grow faster and employ more people by making it easy to be a mentor, find a mentor, and build a business.
This page outlines the purposes and methods of collecting, storing, using, and/or sharing ("processing") your information when you utilize our services ("Services"). This includes activities like:
- Visiting our website at https://www.micromentor.org/ or any of our websites or applications linked to this privacy notice.
- Engaging with us in other related ways, such as marketing, or events.
If you have any questions or concerns, reading this privacy notice will give you important details about your privacy rights and the choices you have. If you don't agree with our rules and how we do things, we ask that you please don't use our Services. If you need more information or have concerns, you can contact us at email@example.com. We're here to help.
- Why Trust MicroMentor with your Personal Information: MicroMentor operates as a non-profit, social impact organization. We are powered by volunteer mentors who care deeply, a community based on mutual trust, and the belief that a better world is possible.
- Third-Party Information: We will never sell or rent your data to third parties.
- Your Profile Information is Public: Other information that you provide to MicroMentor is confidential.
- Sensitive Personal Information: We may process sensitive personal information with your consent or as permitted by applicable law. Learn more about how we handle sensitive data.
- Take Care of Your Data: Your conversations with others in the MicroMentor community are confidential. It is also your responsibility to help us keep it that way.
- Your Data and MicroMentor: General information about your activity on the site helps us to do our job.
- Information Processing: We only share data with trusted partners in order to: improve our service, to measure our impact, and identify misuse, and to respond to your requests.
- Sharing Personal Information: We share information in specific situations and with particular third parties. Discover more about the instances and parties involved in sharing your personal information. If you join MicroMentor through your employer or other organization, some information about your activity will be shared with them.
- Exercising Your Rights: You have rights to the information that we request or have collected about you.
- Account Removal and Deletion: You can ask to be removed from the community.
- International Data Transfer: We are based in the United States, and data is transferred and held securely within US-based data centers. When our global operations require us to transfer information to other countries we utilize appropriate safeguards.
- Your Privacy Rights: Depending on your geographical location, you may have specific rights concerning your personal information. Learn more about your privacy rights.
- Exercising Your Rights: To exercise your rights, you can easily reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will handle your requests in accordance with relevant data protection laws.
To get a comprehensive understanding of how Mercy Corps - MicroMentor handles collected information, please review the full privacy notice below.
Our contact information is as follows:
Mercy Corps - MicroMentor
PO Box 2669
Portland, OR 97208-2669
- If you have joined MicroMentor through your employer or other organization, you may be subject to their policies and procedures regarding privacy and acceptable use of this website. Please contact your program administrator for more details.
- INFORMATION COLLECTION
- HANDLING SOCIAL LOGINS
- INTERNATIONAL DATA TRANSFERS
- DATA RETENTION PERIOD
- UPDATES TO THIS NOTICE
- OTHER PRIVACY CONSIDERATIONS
- CONTACTING US REGARDING THIS NOTICE
- REVIEWING, UPDATING, OR DELETING YOUR DATA
- COOKIE COMPLIANCE
1. INFORMATION COLLECTION
Disclosure of Personal Information:
In Summary: We collect personal information that you choose to share with us. When you use our Services, certain information, such as browser and device characteristics, is automatically collected.
Opting Out of Cookies and Related Technologies:
Log and Usage Data:
- Log and usage data are important information about how our Services are used. Our servers automatically collect this data, which includes diagnostic, usage, and performance details. It's like a record of what happens when you use our Services.
- This data is recorded in log files and may include things like your IP address (a unique number assigned to your device), information about your device, and the type of web browser you use. It also keeps track of what you do on our platform, such as when you visit pages, search for things, and what actions you take. This helps us understand how people use our Services and how well the Services are working.
Other users - Messages, endorsements and feedback:
- MicroMentor may collect or request information about you from other users you have interacted with. This may include messages they exchanged with you, feedback on your conversations, ratings, or endorsements. We also collect negative feedback such as when there may be evidence of spam, solicitation, or fraud.
2. HANDLING SOCIAL LOGINS
In summary: If you decide to register or log in to our Services using your social media account, we may gain access to specific information about you.
You can use your social media accounts like Facebook or LinkedIn to sign up and log in to our Services. When you do this, we get some information about you from the social media provider. This includes your name and email address.
We will only use this information for the reasons we told you about in our privacy notice or the ones we explained in the Services. But, it's important to know that we can't control how the social media provider uses your personal information. So, we suggest you read their privacy notice to see how they handle it. You should also check out how you can manage your privacy settings on their websites and apps.
3. INTERNATIONAL DATA TRANSFERS
In summary: We may transfer, store, and process your information in countries outside your own.
To facilitate our global operations, we transfer information to the United States and allow access to that information from countries in which the Mercy Corps has operations for the purposes described in this policy. Our servers are located in the United States. If you access our Services from a location outside the United States, please be aware that your information may be transferred to, stored, and processed in the United States, Indonesia, Jordan, Ethiopia, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Mexico, and other countries by us and the third parties we share your personal information with.
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA) or the United Kingdom (UK), the data protection laws or other similar laws in these countries may not be as thorough as those in your country. However, we will take all necessary precautions to safeguard your personal information in compliance with this privacy notice and relevant laws.
4. DATA RETENTION PERIOD
In summary: We retain your information for the necessary duration to fulfill the purposes specified in this privacy notice, unless otherwise required by law.
We'll keep your personal information only for as long as we need it for the reasons we told you about in this privacy notice. But, sometimes, the law might require us to keep it longer, like for taxes or legal reasons. We promise not to keep your information longer than three (3) months after you close your user account.
When we no longer need your personal information for our work, we'll do one of two things: delete it or make it anonymous. If we can't do either of those things right away, we'll keep your data safe and stop using it until we can delete it.
5. UPDATES TO THIS NOTICE
Sometimes we might make changes to this privacy statement. When we do, you'll see a new "Revised" date, and the new version will start working right away. If we make big changes that affect you a lot, we'll let you know by posting a notice or sending you a message.
It's a good idea to check this privacy statement regularly so you know how we're keeping your information safe.
6. OTHER PRIVACY CONSIDERATIONS
Notice to end users
- Where the Services are made available to you through an organization (e.g. your employer), that organization is the administrator of the Services and is responsible for the accounts and/or sites over which it has control. If this is the case, please direct your data privacy questions to your administrator, as your use of the Services is subject to that organization's policies. We are not responsible for the privacy or security practices of an administrator's organization, which may be different than this policy.
- Administrators are able to:
- require you to reset your account password;
- restrict, suspend or terminate your access to the Services;
- access information in and about your account;
- access or retain information stored as part of your account;
- In some cases, administrators can also:
- restrict, suspend or terminate your account access;
- change the email address associated with your account;
- change your information, including profile information;
- restrict your ability to edit, restrict, modify or delete information.
- Even if the Services are not currently administered to you by an organization, if you use an email address provided by an organization (such as your work email address) to access the Services, then the owner of the domain associated with your email address (e.g. your employer) may assert administrative control over your account and use of the Services at a later date.
- If you do not want an administrator to be able to assert control over your account or use of the Services, use your personal email address to register for or access the Services. If an administrator has not already asserted control over your account or access to the Services, you can update the email address associated with your account through your account settings in your profile. Once an administrator asserts control over your account or use of the Services, you will no longer be able to change the email address associated with your account without administrator approval.
- Please contact your organization or refer to your administrator’s organizational policies for more information.
Your privacy and confidentiality obligations
Links to third party sites
- This Website contains links to other sites. Please be aware that MicroMentor is not responsible for the privacy or other practices of such other sites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our Website and to read the privacy statements of each and every website that collects personally identifiable information. This privacy statement applies solely to information collected by this Website.
Our policy towards children
- The services are not directed to individuals under 16. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 16. If we become aware that a child under 16 has provided us with personal information, we will take steps to delete such information. If you become aware that a child has provided us with personal information, please contact email@example.com.
7. CONTACTING US REGARDING THIS NOTICE
If you have questions or comments about this notice, you may contact our Data Protection Officer (DPO) by phone or email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-888-842-0842.
or contact us by post or phone at the Mercy Corps - MicroMentor corporate address at:
Mercy Corps - MicroMentor
PO Box 2669
Portland, OR 97208-2669
8. REVIEWING, UPDATING, OR DELETING YOUR DATA
- You have the right to request a copy of your information, to object to our use of your information (including for marketing purposes), to request the deletion or restriction of your information, or to request your information in a structured, electronic format. Below, we describe the tools and processes for making these requests. You can exercise some of the choices by logging into the Services and using settings available within the Services or your account. Where the Services are administered for you by an administrator (see "Notice to End Users" below), you may need to contact your administrator to assist with your requests first. For all other requests, you may contact us as provided in the Contact Us section below to request assistance.
- Your request and choices may be limited in certain cases: for example, if fulfilling your request would reveal information about another person, or if you ask to delete information which we or your administrator are permitted by law or have compelling legitimate interests to keep. Where you have asked us to share data with third parties, for example, by installing third-party apps, you will need to contact those third-party service providers directly to have your information deleted or otherwise restricted. If you have unresolved concerns, you may have the right to complain to a data protection authority in the country where you live, where you work or where you feel your rights were infringed.
Access and update your information:
- Our Services and related documentation give you the ability to access and update certain information about you from within the Service. You can update your profile information within your profile settings and modify content that contains information about you using the editing tools associated with that content.
Deactivate your account:
- To deactivate your account on the Website, send an email to email@example.com with "Deactivate" in the subject line.
Delete your information:
- Our Services and related documentation give you the ability to delete certain information about you from within the Service. For example you can remove certain profile information within your profile settings. Please note, however, that we may need to retain certain information for record keeping purposes, to complete transactions or to comply with our legal obligations.
Request that we stop using your information:
- In some cases, you may ask us to stop accessing, storing, using and otherwise processing your information where you believe we don't have the appropriate rights to do so. For example, if you believe a Services account was created for you without your permission or you are no longer an active user, you can request that we delete your account as provided in this policy. Where you gave us consent to use your information for a limited purpose, you can contact us to withdraw that consent, but this will not affect any processing that has already taken place at the time. You can also opt-out of our use of your information for marketing purposes by contacting us, as provided below. When you make such requests, we may need time to investigate and facilitate your request. If there is delay or dispute as to whether we have the right to continue using your information, we will restrict any further use of your information until the request is honored or the dispute is resolved, provided your administrator does not object (where applicable).
Opt out of communications:
- Users will occasionally receive information on MicroMentor services, messages regarding participation in MicroMentor, and newsletters. Users cannot opt out of certain communications that are necessary for them to receive in order to participate in MicroMentor. Users who have deactivated their accounts can opt-out of these mailings.
- By registering or otherwise agreeing, users agree to receiving communications from MicroMentor. Users may 'opt-out' of receiving further marketing communications by replying to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Unsubscribe" in the subject line. There may be up to a seven (7) day delay in manually processed requests.
- If you require data from your account in a machine-readable format, you may send your request to email@example.com. When you make such requests, we may need time to investigate and facilitate your request.
9. COOKIE COMPLIANCE
Opt out of cookies and related technologies: